Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Bathrobes. Love them or love them?

Love them! For the bathrobe skeptics out there, ahem....Catie, Jason and Cory, there are MANY benefits of owning a bathrobe. They are great for wrapping up in after a shower, covering up from the sun at the pool, or keeping warm after getting out of the hot tub. My personal favorite use of my bathrobe is for leisure. If I'm cold, sick, tired, or achy my bathrobe is the answer, providing instant comfort.

Connie Hunter, fashion writer states, "With the attractive styles available, bathrobes are not to be hidden anymore!" and I quite agree. I must admit, I actually own three bathrobes. I have a winter/grunge robe that I have owned since 6th grade, no joke. My second robe is reserved for summer and the third is what I would classify as my "dressing up for you" robe. This final robe is velvet and has a satin trim, very classy! Whenever I wear it I feel I should be sitting in a deep mahogany chair in a library and smoking a pipe. Yes, slightly old-manish, but a perfect compliment for my dress up robe. If you come over to watch a movie and I put on my navy blue velvet "dress up" robe you know we're good friends. If you come over and I'm wearing my pink robe from 6th grade then you know we're REALLY good friends, and I know longer care what you think. Don't be offended, that is a good place to be. The following images are similar to the robes I own.

Blue Velvet "Dress Up" Robe
Now envision it with a slightly lighter blue satin collar.
(Already you're picturing me with a book and a pipe. Very sophisticated!)


Red Silk Oriental Robe
I wear mine in the summer and it is slightly shorter in length.



Pink Terry Cloth Robe
Great to wrap up in after a shower!
This is the robe that I've owned since 6th grade and it is my favorite when I'm sick.


I'm sure many of you are now completely envious of my robes and are left feeling overwhelmed at what to do next, and depressed by your lack of this magnificent item of clothing. Use the following tips to make your robe experience more enjoyable.

When selecting a bath robe you need to consider your needs. Terry cloth robes are considered the most durable bathrobe. It keeps the body warm and aids in the drying process. Use this robe after getting out of the shower or hot tub. Knit bathrobes are known for their light weight, and breathable texture. If you want something light, this baby would be perfect for you. But, if you are looking for something that has breath ability and makes you feel like a lady, then choose a silk bath robe.

Go ahead and admit that this post has probably changed your life!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this Connie lady has a point. That is, if you have an attractive bathrobe. I think the pictures you posted are mis-representations of what you actually own.

Here are some of my thoughts on your robes.

The soft pink one- Not bad. Not good, but not bad. (I'm flattered that I see you in this one most of the time)

The blue velvet one- My dad had one in burgandy in the late eighties, early nineties. There isn't anything dress up about it.

The Chinese red one- There are no words.

I do think that you and your robes are actually very endearing. I wish I could have formed an unnatural bond with a robe myself.

I think you should post next about your Betty Boop and Nsync t-shirts and your sash collection. I think it would be a real insight into the life and mind of Alina R. Dorsey.

Alina D. said...

Cory! You shut your mouth when you're talking to me.

Brad and Marci said...

I stop wearing my robe when I am pregnant because it is the most depressing feeling when even a robe won't fit around you! I am envious of your robes and I can't wait to wear mine again. I practically live in my robe once I have had my baby and I have to nurse ALL of time, robes are a very handy tool for nursing mothers! I wish you and your robes a long and happy life and from the sounds of it I know your other two will last as long as your pink one.

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

ladies ladies...not another robe quarrel.

and alina, i just hope you know i fully support you keeping your n'sync shirt even though i was a tad disappointed when i opened the bag of clothes you gave me saturday and it wasn't amongst the pile.

but, i must agree with miss broadway.
robes in general: no no no
robes on you: simply adorable

see you friday toots!

catie p.

The Travelogue said...

Hey, I think I remember the pink robe from our high school days! I had no idea it's had such a long and happy life.

My problem when choosing a robe is length. I prefer knee-length, but then they tend to shrink to bum-length. Not good for me, not good for my roommates.

Unknown said...

Can I just say it has been FAR too long since I've read your blog! It truly brightens my day and makes me feel so lucky to be your friend! Thanks for being willing to share glimpses of your world.

xo Shell