Thursday, April 9, 2009

Monthly Volunteer Opportunity

Last night I had the opportunity to help serve dinner for 90 adults and children at the Road Home (The Road Home is the largest homeless shelter in Utah). My friend Sarah orchestrated the entire event which included not only purchasing all of the food and supplies, but making and bagging 90 turkey sandwiches! She initially had 4 other volunteers for the evening and at the last moment they all bailed out. Luckily Terry and Connie Dorsey came out to help serve, and everything went smoothly. (Side Note-I have extremely supportive parents. They have helped or attended Halloween Carnivals, Christmas Shows, Bridal Shows, Open Houses, Volunteer Projects, and more. I consider myself very lucky!)

With the dinner success and of course the good feeling that follows, we decided we wanted to make dinner for the homeless a monthly activity. If anyone is interested we are looking for a set group. We will rotate who is in charge of organizing dinner for the month. If you are interested, plan on contributing about $15-25 per month for dinner/supplies (Which is about what we spend on ourselves on a Friday night).

We would love all the help we can get, but again, we are looking for individuals who can commit to a monthly service project with the idea in mind that if you can't make it one month, you find yourself a replacement. If you have another volunteer opportunity or cause that you are interested in we could always mix-it-up!

"Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love."Martin Luther King, jr.

5 comments:

The Travelogue said...

You have a good heart, Alina Rae! Remember the time we were volunteering at the nursing home, and the old lady passed out while I was painting her fingernails? Good times. I can't commit to a monthly activity because I have to work evenings occasionally, but I'd love to help out when you need extra people. Let me know!

Alina D. said...

That would be great Lynz, thank you! And of course I remember painting nails at the nursing home. It's one of my favorite stories to tell! I would be so traumatized if I were you :)

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

me too!
sorry i couldn't come last night...baby reasons obviously...but always always let me know when you are doing stuff!

miss you, and i have your craft...and really want to spice up your apartment...i think we're in desperate need of a craft hang out!

catie p.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to go ahead and commit. You've got me Bender. For one night out of the week, you've got me.

Melissa said...

um...lets talk about how i DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU HAD A BLOG! I feel so betrayed.....