Monday, December 22, 2008

It's Karma

So, I just got home from the dreaded first interview. First, I hate interviewing!!! Second, I usually get a good sense of how the interview is going and whether or not the interviewers like me, I had no idea on this one! Third, as General Manager at my last job I was in charge of the hiring and firing. I always had my Wedding Consultant sit in on interviews with me and we would take the good cop/bad cop roles. I would always be the bad cop, asking the hard questions and having fun with the interviewee. One time I asked a girl to get on the table and sing. Another time I asked an interviewee to call an upset father of the bride and explain to him why their tuxes were late (I didn't end up making either one do what I asked, just wanted to see if they would :). All I have to say is.....Karma. Today I told the panel that I wanted to learn Spanish and that I've had a few College Spanish courses (true, but that was two years ago). They asked if I could answer a question in Spanish and I said no, but that I could talk about myself for 10 minutes (I don't know why I said 10, to pass the class we only had to talk for 5!). Anyway, one girl said, "Please do" . I laughed for a minute thinking it was a joke and she looked me straight in the eye and replied, "No, seriously, we both speak Spanish and I'd like to hear it". I bumbled through about 3 lines and apologized that it had been awhile and I was nervous. I felt like an idiot! I was not prepared for that!!! Why didn't they ask me my strengths and weaknesses? That I had prepared for!

So people.....KARMA. I publicly apologize for the many I have interviewed and had fun with at your expense. Ooops, not so fun when you're on the other end :(

Also, if anyone knows of an available job please pass it along!!!
I'm starting to think McDonalds would be a great place to work. They have good benefits for their employees right???

3 comments:

Matt L. said...

Que suave! Buena suerte con encontrando un trabajo muy pronto. Yo se que es dificil, pero encontrara algo pronto!

HAHA... ok, for those of you (Alina) who speak ONLY English...

That's awesome... good luck finding a job! I know it's rough, but you'll land something soon!

Brad and Marci said...

I really wish I had read this sooner because it is kind of funny! Not funny that you were nervous but because the context you put it in.
I am so sorry I didn't make it to the graduation party! I am eating toast right now and I really hope to keep it down. Me and Kali got some crazy sickness going around and it hit hard and just a little while ago Cole started getting it. I hope it was fun you deserve a GREAT time!

The Travelogue said...

Yuck. That's rough. One time I had a potential employer ask me, "If I went outside and got in your car right now, what would be in the CD player?" I think I lied and said something cool and indie, when really it was like Dixie Chicks. Good luck. I know you'll do awesome.