Thursday, January 15, 2009

Funeral Potatoes


Somehow my friend in Chicago heard about Utah's "funeral potatoes". She has been asking me to make them since my first visit last year. So last night I went to the grocery store, purchased the necessary ingredients, including corn flakes for authenticity, and set out to wow her. The potatoes, I thought, turned out good, however her response was pretty anticlimactic. I guess just us Utahn's can truly appreciate the cheesy, sour creamy goodness of funeral potatoes. I told her about the different versions of this dish and she said she'd be up to trying a different one. She was shocked to learn that at my grandpa's funeral there were at least 5 different variations. I'm guessing she's now not so interested in trying the jello dish I was planning on introducing her to! Anyone have any to-die-for funeral potato recipes?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, I hate sharing this with you, since you are an avid hater of vegetables...

-Most Delicious of All Jello Recipe-
1 box orange jello
grated carrots

Mix those two together and you will have a taste explosion in your mouth.

P.S. Why her response was anything less than pure elation is shocking to me.

tishypoopoo said...

Hi Alina!
You don't know me that well but... I am a catering director for a small reception center in bountiful! I just might be able to wow your friend with funeral potatoes and I have a jello recipe that would knock her socks off! If you TRUST me give me a call!!
You know who at 801-you know the number!!! Love you! Me
ps I can't believe I didn't get a call on this one!!! And I just want to tell you that my hubby isn't real big on 2-14 either!! but that doesn't count! Because like your Jason he is a keeper! It's one day....and he is there EVERY day for you!! That is what counts! He loves you and that is what I would dwell on....not 2-14!! Love you!

tishypoopoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.