Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Chicago Walking Tour

I just returned from my third trip to Chicago and I decided it was time for me to do a little more obvious sight seeing, so I signed up for the Historic Skyscrapers Walking Tour. I met my group at 10:00 am for our two hour tour feeling pretty good about the three shirts I was wearing, in addition to a sweater and coat, two pairs of socks, scarf, hat, and tights under my pants, there was no way I was going to be cold. The group turned out to consist of me and one other girl from Germany. (I'm sure the size of the group had nothing to do with the fact that it was negative 4 degrees that day!!!)
(Cloud Gate. AKA The Peanut)

The tour turned out to be really interesting! There were so many intricate designs on the buildings that I had never noticed, even when I had locals showing me around. Plus the history behind all of them was informative and kept my interest. I've posted some photos below, but unfortunately my camera died mid-tour. I would definitely recommend this tour for future visitors. (Surprisingly, even in the winter!) It was conducted by a sweet older woman who was a retired English teacher and a volunteer. She really knew her stuff!


Burnham and Root’s Rookery (1888)

The Rookery's Winding Oriel Staircase


Rookery Ceiling Designed to Maximize Light
Frank Lloyd Wright Restored the Interior


La Salle Street runs through the Loop and is
considered the Financial District of Chicago
Additional stops on the Historical Skyscrapers Tour: Adler and Sullivan’s Auditorium (1889), Holabird and Roche’s Marquette Building (1895), Holabird and Root’s Chicago Board of Trade Building (1930)


By the end of the tour I was frozen to the bone. Face chapped, feet wet, and let's be honest...miserable. I made it two blocks down the road before I had to escape into a cafe for a cup of soup and a panini. I took refuge there for about an hour enjoying my hot food and book. When I finally ventured out again I walked another five blocks, cursing under my breath, and slipped into another cafe. This time I endulged in a Chai tea and a scrumptuous lemon bar. The plan for the day was to walk the city while my friend was at work. Ya..................NOT A GOOD PLAN! I ended up taking a nap in her office while she finished work. I never fully warmed up until later that night when I spent an hour in a scalding hot shower.

2 comments:

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

you little globe trotter. i'm glad your home safe and sound. that tour looked awesome!

love,
catie p.

Brad and Marci said...

I am so excited to visit Chicago and I am so glad I get to have you map things out for me. I'll be alone in the day so take care of me.