Friday, February 6, 2009

Life Decision.....Need Your Advice!


I have one week to decide where I would like to be placed for my Masters Program Practicum and I am feeling slightly dramatic in a sense that I could make the wrong decision and completely ruin my life (I told you I was feeling dramatic!). Okay, maybe not ruin, but could limit my future career options by not choosing wisely. So, I have decided to use this post as a way to organize my pros and cons as well as to get your votes. I have narrowed it down to three categories. Within those categories I will still have to choose out of multiple agencies/schools, but I'll tackle that one later.

1.) International Placement in Mumbai India or Gaboronte Botswana
Pros:
-How many opportunities will I have to study in another country?
-Social Programs are going to be vastly different in a third world country and it would be fascinating to learn about them.
-I love to travel.
-Having an international emphasis would stand out on my resume.
-Rather than going to school and doing my practicum congruently in the fall I would be able to go to school and work throughout the semester as I would be completing the practicum full time over the summer.
-If I went to India I would get to try real Indian food which I love.
-I imagine I could ride an elephant in both countries.
Cons:
-Extra travel fees in addition to course and practicum costs.
-Paying for an apartment/car/internet/etc. while I'm not here.
-Although not likely, there is always the chance that the school/agency could say they can't accept a new student/my funding could fall through leaving me behind all of my classmates and scrambling to find a Utah agency that would accept me.
-Being away from loved ones for three months.
-Harsh living conditions.
-I won't get the Clinical experience I feel I need.

2.) School Setting (I'm required to do 300 hrs. in a school setting to receive my SW School Counselor Certificate. The full practicum is 600 hrs.)
Pros:
-The idea of being a school social worker was partly what inspired me to go into Social Work in the first place.
-The schedule would be ideal for later on in life. Work during the school year, summers off.
-I worked with teen moms at a High School and absolutely loved it (won't count towards my 300 hours however, already thought of that).
Cons:
-Funding is being cut for schools and they are not required to have a school counselor/social worker so I may not have any positions to pursue when I graduate.
-It is a popular position and therefore very competitive.
-I want to get my LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Work. It's required to do therapy) and this position wouldn't prepare me for taking the test.

3.) Clinical Setting
Pros:
-I haven't had any experience in a clinical setting so far and I am going to need the counseling experience.
-Over the years when I picture myself as a Social Worker I continually imagine sitting in an office setting with a client across from me.
-I could see myself doing, and being happy with doing, individual and couple counseling.
Cons:
-Practicum spots are limited and so it is highly competitive.
-Most stressful of the three options.
-To be honest, this one scares me to death. I don't know if I'm ready to be counseling. I guess that is what a practicum is for though.

So far I have feedback from two of my friends at work. Their responses:
Friend #1: You are going to get a whole new experience in India that none of the other students will have. It is only for three months and you have a year to save.
Friend #2: I would choose the most practical one. With the way our economy is right now you would be smart to pick the one that will give you the most options for career choices. This would be in a Clinical Setting. It's broad enough that I could take it anywhere and it would give me all of the skills I am going to need.
So....What do you think?


2 comments:

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

well, obviously going out of the country would be amazing and exciting and so adventurous. and if you learn how to cook authentic indian food ooh la la!

having said that...i can't tell you which one to choose. i really think you should follow your instincts...you're intuitive, i think you know which will be better for you.

i'm so proud of you alina!
my little nerdy college girl...who knew she was so naturally crafty as well?

The Travelogue said...

Going to India would be so fun, but if it's not the right fit job-wise, you could always go there on vacation. FYI, my roommate worked in India for six months and got so sick from the water and food that she could barely leave her apartment.

On second hand,
It would be SO awesome. And Catie's right - Indian food is delicious. Tough call!!